Good Parenting Skills
- Encourage your child to talk with you. He/she is full of new experiences to share and stories to tell.
- Inculcate in your child the habit of reading books.
- Television can be fun and help your child learn. Television viewing should be planned regularly around programmes cast for children. Whenever possible watch television along with your child and talk about what you have seen.
- Let your child follow set schedules for home study, recreation, meal times etc. as it establishes consistency.
- Encourage him/her to make a time table for home study, recreation etc. and prepare his/her things for school the next day.
- Make your child responsible for a few household chores like keeping things in order, cleaning the table etc.
Praise your child. Praise works much better than threats in getting your child to do what you want. Telling the child 'you did a good job' when she / he does something right makes her / him want to do it again. Children who are treated with love and respect grow up to be happy and confident. Show genuine interest, patience and understanding. Help her /him find answers to all their questions. Give your ward room to try new things, to make simple decisions and to explore new situations.